Nel Shelby Productions, a fast-paced video production company in New York City, is in search of an IT Specialist.
NSP is looking to fill a part-time, hourly position to manage our website and server. The role is estimated to require a commitment of 5 hours per week.
Who we’re looking for:
The person who fills this role will work in collaboration with the owner Nel Shelby. They must exude patience, empathy and confidence. They should be a team player, fun and have a sense of humor. They should practice persistence and follow-through when making work requests, and plan ahead whenever possible to accommodate the varied schedules of NSP’s passionate and freelance-based team.
The IT Specialist will be responsible for upkeep of NSP’s website, email, hosting and domain.
Responsibilities may vary with changes and advancements in technology, but typically include:
- WordPress, Divi Theme and Various Plugin Updates – the IT Specialist will be responsible for ensuring all updates run smoothly before implementing on the site. It is suggested that the Specialist either
- creates a staging site, runs updates on the staging site, and combs pages to confirm nothing has gone awry before running updates on the live site; or
- researches potential issues from folks who have already run updates. For example, when WordPress released Gutenberg, we knew several WordPress updates could interfere with our Divi theme, and so we conducted a fair amount of research and decided to pause until WordPress released its next update with bug and security fixes.
- Server health checks – this mostly includes checking on storage space, ensuring key features like staging sites are functioning properly, and checking that site speed hasn’t taken any major hits
- Backups – nelshelby.com is hosted on Siteground, which backs itself up automatically in cPanel once daily. The IT Specialist should check monthly to confirm backups are running as scheduled, and will occasionally run a manual backup if many new changes have been made and NSP wants the site preserved in its exact state.
- SSL – SSL can be finicky for WordPress sites so our IT Specialist is expected to check once monthly that (1) certificate generation is working properly and (2) the certification is available on all website pages
- Site security – checking for signs of site security breach or hacking
- Urgent fixes – the IT Specialist is who we’ll call with any in-the-moment problems that arise regarding our website, email, third party platforms, server and more
- SEO – run regular site speed checks and do a monthly audit of SEO performance, making regular suggestions and recommendations to Nel’s remote marketing team
Desired skills or understanding include:
- Google Admin / Business Suite
- Siteground hosting
- Email Marketing / Mailchimp
- Web Content Management / WordPress (Divi theme experience a plus)
- Google Tag Manager
- SEO (Search Engine Optimization)
- Page speed insights and improvements
This is a remote position.
A plus if candidates are familiar with the dance field and/or video production, with 3-5 years of related professional experience. The person who fills this role will be treated as an independent contractor, paid on a 1099 and will not receive benefits.
“Nel Shelby Productions is a fun, friendly and fast-paced environment. The whole team is talented and generous. There’s a true spirit of collaboration and team meetings often feel like a gathering with friends, even though we’re checking off to-dos and troubleshooting together. Our client base is made of gifted artists who are a dream to create with. Office systems and procedures keep everyone organized while also allowing for the flexibility needed in this artistic world we live in. Best of all, Nel is kind, smart and a compassionate leader who is a joy to work with.”